PurpleAir Sensor FAQs
- Willingness to participate in the Clean Air SGV program and a community conversation about air quality.
- An electrical outlet that allows the sensor to be installed on the outside of a building.
- A flat surface where the air sensor can be mounted (with one screw).
- Wifi access to get the sensor online.
- Willingness to receive APIFM communications to maintain the sensor.
Yes! After installing the air sensors, you can track the air quality in your area on this website: https://www.purpleair.com/map?#1/11.4/-30.
- Open the PurpleAir link on your browser
- Click on the “Map” icon (located on the purple bar at the top of the webpage)
- On the top left hand corner, type in your location or the name of your sensor (ex. “SCAP_10”)
- Once the map locates your sensor, click on the circle icon to view the current air quality that your sensor is picking up
- Refer to the legend on the bottom left corner of the website. Make sure you toggle the downward arrow under the “Map Data Layer,” section to read , “US EPA Village Green,” which will give you the real time readings of the purple air sensors versus the generalized air quality index (AQI) readings which can be one of six federally regulated air pollutants (so the reading may not necessarily be based on PM levels) and these readings are not based on the last 24 hours since the data gathered is averaged over a longer period of time. Please visit: https://www.epa.gov/air-sensor-toolbox/what-do-my-sensor-readings-mean-sensor-scale-pilot-project for more information on what your sensor readings mean.
Yes, definitely! Anytime you will be doing prolonged activities outdoors you should check the purple air map and see where PM 2.5 levels have been at for the past hour. If the you are seeing readings that are medium-high it is advised you stay indoors or reduce the amount of time you are outdoors. For more detailed information please visit https://www.epa.gov/air-sensor-toolbox/what-do-my-sensor-readings-mean-sensor-scale-pilot-project and reference the FAQ section.